Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Am i able to replace the OEM Radio with a different OEM model?

City
Columbus
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 ford fiesta SE
The radio in my car died a while ago and its model number AE8T-19C107-AJ . Am I able to replace that with AE8T-19C157-AA ? According to the eBay seller the only difference is the new one would have satellite.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The radio in my car died a while ago and its model number AE8T-19C107-AJ . Am I able to replace that with AE8T-19C157-AA ? According to the eBay seller the only difference is the new one would have satellite.
Simply No.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
You will have to upgrade the wiring to a different pinout connector for those extra functions Satellite needs and uses to produce content - this also may force you to upgrade the wiring harness and the APIM or Head display module to process this information.

IF you can - keep the original Radio as your backup - but look for similar radios in and around that Date Code for the year.

Why?

These are integrated heads and modules - which means they use a proprietary chip set in them that works with the instructions stored in the current versions APIM unit.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I have removed the radio and harnesses from several fiesta.
It would be a major league hassle to "upgrade" a fiesta factory system even if you have access to every single part to do it!
The only reason i carefully pulled out a sync audio head and harness was because it was the identical build version of the one in my 2011 hatchback.
These audio systems are going a little bit more obsolete every day.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
These audio systems are going a little bit more obsolete every day.
Sadly, I still have an old "Single DIN" radio that I pulled from one of my older vehicles.

It was in a vehicle that got T-boned by a guy - but the radio still worked in it.

Considering the damage, the guy turning left into me did to the vehicle, many say I was lucky to have just walked away with not a scratch. A working radio was the bonus gift.

I keep that radio as a reminder - and as far as todays vehicles - they are way too distracting with content and complexity to run a menu-based system. I just want volume and tune - nothing more - can't always arrive to that when you have to hit MENU to reselect something that got reset because of a battery or power failure and you're in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Look around you in those situations...many are not paying attention - they're relying more and more on the collision avoidance systems to drive while they update their status on facebook. That is, if you can see thru the tinted glass to even see the driver.
1661510033992.png
Many times, you can even see their followers along for the ride.​

The stats for the long-term show this will be a worsening problem - too many people still can't process information with the type of dexterity and brain comprehension that is required, and many are too buried in their phones to care!

I'm more for the older days, so thanks for reading this far...

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
That single DIN isn't a problem! Just go find a nice F150 built between 1987 and 1996 to put it in!
My personal favorite among them were 1992 to 1996 f150 2 wheel drive with a 5.0 v8 and the automatic overdrive transmission. Almost a perfect blend of towing & hauling capacity with pretty decent fuel economy.
With the bonus of a simple dashboard with lots of room for its almost universal sized radio unit! Just to stay somewhat on topic.